Hocking College student Michele Porter recently became one of 50 students to receive the Coca-Cola Academic Team Gold Scholar award.
Currently, an Addiction Counseling program major, Porter — who is also the acting president of Hocking College’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa — noted that “it feels great to see my hard work pay off.”
According to Porter, applicants were judged based on their GPA and an original 500-word essay describing they’ve applied what they’ve learned in their classes to their respective communities.
Last year Porter was one of 207 Phi Theta Kappa members to be named a 2019 Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise Scholar and was awarded $1,000.
Since January 2019, Porter has been part of Health Recovery Services’ residential support staff. In June, she also became a case manager at HRC’S Rural Women’s Recovery Program.
Porter says she wants to recognize her parents, the TRIO faculty, her peers in her Addiction Counseling classes and Hocking College for all the support she’s received over the past two years.
After Porter graduates from Hocking College, she plans to attend the University of Cincinnati and later pursue her master’s degree at Ohio University.
More about the Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise Scholarship
The Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise scholarship program was created to benefit new Phi Theta Kappa members enrolled in an associate degree program. The goal is to help them defray their educational costs by connecting them with the financial resources they need to realize their academic aspirations.
More about Hocking College’s chapter of PTK
Founded on November 19, 1918, PTK is the world’s largest organization recognizing the achievements of honor students at two-year institutions. The society is made up of more than 3.5 million members from 1.300 chapters in 11 different nations.
The Hocking College chapter is called Alpha Mu Delta.
How can I join Phi Theta Kappa?
- Membership to PTK is open to students on an invitation-only basis.
- Students must have completed at least 12 credit hours.
- Students must have a GPA of 3.5
- Students must pay a one-time-only fee of $90. However, scholarships are available that can reduce this fee to $20.
Some of the advantages of becoming a PTK member include:
- Members have access to a wealth of scholarship opportunities which in Ohio alone totals nearly $90,000
- Members who decide to transfer to a four-year school have the opportunity to get financial discounts
- Members can receive letters of recommendation
- Members will have chances to develop and hone their leadership skills
- Members association with PTK will be noted on their academic transcripts
- Members can receive tutoring and mentoring opportunities
- Members get to become part of a community of like-minded individuals dedicated to bettering themselves and their communities