Spring Break 2020 at Hocking College is scheduled for March 9-13.
The closer spring break gets the more anxious thousands of college students become to begin their annual migration to the nearest beach for some much-needed rest and relaxation.
But what about those students who have “been there, done that” and want to try something new?
And what about students who prefer being productive to partying?
Are there any spring break alternatives out there that might appeal to them?
There is a way these students can both break with tradition and spend their spring break doing something that’s fun and fulfilling: They can become volunteers in their local communities!
What are the benefits of volunteering?
The following list represents rewards students can obtain by volunteering their time and talents during spring break:
- Learn new skills
- Perfect old skills
- Builds character
- Opens new career doors
- Meet new people
- Boosts self-confidence
- Chance to improve the lives of others
- Improves team work skills
- Sharpens interpersonal skills
- Creates community awareness
- Develop a sense of empathy
- Encourages a sense of purpose.
What’s the process for becoming a volunteer?
Before students begin to weigh their volunteer options they should be prepared to meet the following expectations:
- You’ll need to go through an orientation period.
- You’ll be expected to follow certain rules and regulations.
- Be prepared to keep a much more regimented schedule.
- Don’t overstep your professional boundaries.
- Keep your personal life totally separate from your volunteer-related responsibilities.
Are there any volunteer opportunities near Hocking College?
Students at Hocking College are fortunate to live in a community that offers them a multitude of opportunities to volunteer their time and effort. The following section details many of these worthy causes:
Opportunities in Albany, Ohio
Opportunities in Athens, Ohio
- Athens County Food Pantry: 740-590-7051
- Athens County Dog Shelter: 740-593-5415
- Athens Public Library: 740-592-4271
- American Red Cross: 740-593-5273
- Habitat for Humanity: 740-592-0032
- Rural Women’s Recovery House: 740-593-6152
- The Gathering Place: 740-594-7337
- The Timothy House Shelter: 740-594-3339
Opportunities in Logan, Ohio
- Appalachia Ohio Alliance: 740-817-1759
- Carlin House Assisted Living Community: 740-380-6383
- Hocking Hills Tourism Association: 740-385-2750
- Scenic Hills Senior Citizen Center: 740-385-6581
- The Pet Orphanage: 740-380-3002
Opportunities in Nelsonville, Ohio
Opportunities in The Plains, Ohio
- Rural Action/Kuhre Center for Rural Renewal: 740-677-4047
- Salvation Army Food Pantry: 740-797-1305
- The Plains Public Library Branch: 740-797-4579