The dog days of summer are upon us and what better way to celebrate the joys of summer than to bring your dog to work? Friday, June 22 marks this special holiday celebrated by many humans and dogs alike.
Always the Friday after Father’s Day, Take Your Dog To Work Day (TYDTWD) was first celebrated in 1999 and has been improving the workplace ever since. First created by Pet Sitters International to promote dog rescue and adoption, the holiday positively influences humans too. Recent studies have shown that TYDTWD not only promotes happiness, reduces stress, and increases productivity, but it has also shown to increase overall job satisfaction.
So if you plan to participate in TYDTWD, here are some tips and tricks to make the day successful:
- You may love them, but do your coworkers? Some people may be allergic to dogs or may have a fear of dogs. Ask your coworkers if they are comfortable with your dog being in the office.
- Does your dog have manners? If your dog is a little on the “ruff” side, reconsider bringing your dog to work to avoid mishaps and misadventures in the workplace. Also, make sure that your dog would enjoy coming to the office. Do they behave well with strangers? Do they mind the type of environment that you work in? These types of questions are critical on whether or not your dog would be comfortable coming to work.
- Pack a doggie bag. Make sure to bring all of your dog’s necessities to work, including water, food, bowls, waste bags, and any other supplies that will help keep the office and your employer’s property clean.
- A healthy dog is a happy dog. Before bringing your dog to work, make sure that they have all of their recent shots and is feeling well. It's also a good idea to take your dog to the groomer so that they're a polished pup when they come into the office.
- Plan the day out. Make sure that your schedule will coincide with your dog’s eating and bathroom schedule. Long meetings or conference calls are not a good idea to include in your dog’s day at work.
- Enjoy the company! The most important aspect of TYDTWD is for you and your dog to find happiness in every moment. Happiness is what TYDTWD is all about.