NELSONVILLE, Ohio—More than 450 students took part in Hocking College’s combined Autumn 2020 and Spring 2021 graduation ceremony Saturday, May 8.
The two-year community college’s autumn ceremony had been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and those graduates joined their spring counterparts for Saturday’s ceremony.
The separate ceremonies were held: One each for the School of Health and Safety and the School of Natural Resources and a combined service for the schools of Arts, Business and Science and Workforce Development.
Like at the college’s combined spring and summer graduation in August 2020, the graduates were seated six feet apart in the parking lot in front of Oakley Hall on the college’s Nelsonville campus. Guests for the graduates were behind them and asked to sit only with people they arrived at the ceremony with and stay at least six feet away from other groups.
A different Hocking College alumni spoke at each ceremony: Athens County Sheriff Rodney Smith spoke at the School of Health and Safety ceremony, Sean White, co-founder and head brewer of Little Fish Brewing Company, spoke at the combined Arts, Business and Science and Workforce Development ceremony and Patrick Quackenbush, the retired Hocking Hills State Park Naturalist Supervisor and soon-to-be Parks and Museums Education program manager for Hocking College, spoke at the School of Natural Resources ceremony.
To see more photos from the ceremony click here.
The following students received awards from the college:
- Megan Elizabeth Bolte and John Logan Shiflet - Environmental Award
- Samuel Anthony Hubert, Rebecca Dawn Snouffer and Kaylie Nicole Umfleet - Student Employment Award
- Douglas Roy Spears - Community Service Award
- Attiah Michelle Fogle - Inspirational Achievement Award
- Paige Elizabeth Fox and Rachel Anne Ralston - Richard Elston Leadership Award
- Courtney Nicole Pettit - Student Life Award
- Paige Elizabeth Fox - Trustee Award
- Cole Manuel Luburgh and Aleesha Marie Tingler - Scholar Athlete
- Kayleigh Cathryn Patton - We Are One Hocking - Cross Cultural Award
- Adam Lee McCutcheon - Veterans Award
The following students received the President’s Award:
- Hattan Khaled Nasser Alyerime
- Stanleigh Hunter Archer
- Megan Elizabeth Bolte
- Mollie Ann Coy
- Paige Elizabeth Fox
- Samuel Anthony Hubert
- Cole Manuel Luburgh
- Adam Lee McCutcheon
- Rachel Anne Ralston
- John Logan Shiflet
- Rebecca Dawn Snouffer
- Douglas Roy Spears
- Joshua Wigal