An insurance agent is a who solicits, negotiates or instigates contracts on behalf of an insurer and can be independent or an employee of the insurer. Agents are legal representatives of insurers. They perform certain acts on behalf of the insurers they represent, such as to bind coverage.
What job duties does an insurance agent perform?
On a daily basis, insurance agents perform many of the following duties:
- Call potential clients to expand their customer base
- Interview prospective clients to get information about their financial resources and discuss existing coverage
- Explain the features of various policies
- Analyze clients' current insurance policies and suggest additions or other changes
- Customize insurance programs to suit individual clients
- Handle policy renewals
- Maintain electronic and paper records
Where can I get the training I need to become an insurance agent?
Hocking College in Nelsonville, Ohio, offers a three-course certificate program that prepares students for the AINS General Insurance Certificate exam. People who complete this program are prepared for entry-level positions in central Ohio's thriving insurance industry. All course content will be delivered online.
Students who enroll in Hocking College's program can receive their Occupational Certificate in Insurance in eight short weeks.
What will I learn in this program?
Students who enroll in Hocking College's Occupational Certificate in Insurance program will study the following subjects:
- property and liability insurance principals
- personal insurance
- principals and practices of claims handling
Are there any prerequisites that have to be met to enroll?
While there are no official prerequisites for becoming an insurance agent, students planning to work toward getting an Occupational Certificate in Insurance should seriously consider developing the following academic skills and qualities:
- Excellent computer skills.
- Excellent math skills.
- Excellent reading comprehension skills.
- Experience or background in economics, finance or marketing.
- Be bilingual.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to maintain your composure in stressful situations.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to empathize with your clients.
- Strong sense of initiative.
- Strong networking abilities.
Sense of pride in your appearance.
How can I get more information on this program?
For more information on Hocking College's Occupational Certificate in Insurance, contact Dean of Arts, Business and Sciences Ryan Rieder by email at email@example.com or by phone at 740-753-7214.