During the summer, the Nelsonville area offers all sorts of outdoor activities you can explore including canoeing and kayaking. However, if you’ve never tried either of these sports before maybe the first thing you need to do is ask yourself “Am I a canoe person or a kayak person?”
The following information will help you become more informed about both activities and help you decide which one is right for you.
What’s the Difference Between a Canoe and a Kayak?
Facts about canoes:
- Canoes date back to at least 8,000 years ago.
- While there are different theories as to who actually invented the canoe, they were originally used for trade, exploration, and transportation.
- They have an open-desk design.
- Canoes are stable and difficult to capsize.
- Paddles used in canoes have one blade.
- Canoes are heavy and not easy to carry.
Facts about kayaks:
- Kayaks date back to 4,000 years ago.
- They were invented by tribes in Arctic North America for the purposes of hunting and transportation.
- They have a closed-desk design.
- They require a double-sided paddle.
- Kayaks are light and easy to carry.
What Advantages Do Canoes Have Over Kayaks?
- Canoes can hold more gear.
- They are more comfortable to sit in.
- Canoes are difficult to capsize.
- They are easier to get in and out of.
- They offer more seating positions.
What Advantages Do Kayaks Have Over Canoes?
- Kayaks are more maneuverable.
- They help keep gear drier.
- Kayaks don’t take on water easily.
- Passengers are closer to the water.
- Kayaks can handle rough or rugged conditions.
- They are better suited to protect passengers from the elements.
Which Is More Expensive?
How much money do you need to spend to get a canoe or kayak? That depends on the sort of material you choose. The following section gives you a better idea of what you’ll need to spend for either item:
- Canoes made of fiberglass or polyethylene usually run between $500 to $700.
- Canoes made of aluminum or wood can cost anywhere from $700 to $1,000.
- Canoe paddles can run from $25 to $50.
- Inflatable kayaks, or those made of plastic or polyethylene, can cost anywhere from $150 to $200.
- Kayaks made of handcrafted cedar can cost between $1,000 to $3,000.
- Kayak paddles cost between $40 to $200.
Interested in canoeing or kayaking? Check out Hocking College’s Ecotourism & Adventure Travel and Adventure Leadership degree program. For more information contact Program Manager Jennifer Johnson by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: (740) 753-6279.