Hocking College was recently awarded a provisional license as a medical cannabis testing laboratory by the Ohio Department of Commerce (ODC). The lab will function under the direction of Jonathan Cachat Ph. D., who was named the school’s Director of Laboratory Science & Undergraduate Research in September 2017.
Dr. Cachat will also help develop the curriculum for a new associates degree program at Hocking College in laboratory sciences that will encompass the following three specialized majors:
What’s Dr. Cachat’s Background?
Dr. Cachat is a social neuroscientist (Ph.D.) who specializes in researching and documenting the relationship between psychoactive compounds, the brain, and behavior.
His background also includes developing IT infrastructure and expanding the boundaries and horizons of biomedical research.
Dr. Cachat has also devoted much of his professional life to educating the public about medical cannabis and promoting its potential benefits.
Dr. Cachat has also received the following certificates and degrees:
- 2004: Digital Media Arts-Production Certificate from Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- 2008: BS., Social Neuroscience (IDM) from Denison University, Granville, OH
- 2011: MS., Neuroscience from Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- 2012: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) Neuroscience from Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
What About His Business Experience?
In addition to his new position at Hocking College, Dr. Cachat has also held the following job titles:
- January 2018 — Present: SunGrown Zero; Co-Founder & CTO
- January 2015 — Present: CCV Research; President & CEO
- January 2015 — January 2017: Fleurish Farms; President & CEO
- July 2013 — July 2015: UC Davis; CLIR Postdoctoral Research Fellow-Data Curation Neuroinformatics
- January 2011 — October 2013: Neuroscience Information Framework; Data Scientist/Open Data Evangelist
- January 2009 — December 2012: Tulane University; Senior Psychopharmacology Researcher
Has Dr. Cachat Ever Volunteered His Services?
Throughout his career Dr. Cachat has held the following volunteer-based positions:
- October 2015 — Present: Founding Board Member/California Growers Association
- April — October 2015: Sacramento Advisory Board Member
- January — October 2015: UC Davis Faculty Advisor/Students for Sensible Drug Policy
What Other Credentials Does Dr. Cachat Have?
Dr. Cachat’s esteemed career also includes the following additional accomplishments:
- Edited two books: Zebrafish Models in Neurobehavioral Research and Zebrafish Neurobehavioral Protocols
- Written/Co-written over 50 peer-reviewed research-based articles
- Involved in professional associations such as The Society for Neuroscience, The American Society for Pharmacological & Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET), and Noldus Information Technologies
In conjunction, Dr. Cachat is an accomplished public speaker and will be one of the featured speakers at the O’Cannabiz Conference & Expo in Toronto, Canada in June 2019.
Anyone interested in finding out more about Hocking College's upcoming laboratory sciences programs can request more information by contacting Admissions at email@example.com.