August is National Back-to-School Month, which means many students will be saying goodbye to summer and hello to dorm life, whether it be for the first time as a freshman or as a returning student.
Packing can seem daunting at first. For those already stressing over this new chapter, there are plenty of ways to prepare before you even set foot in a classroom. What will you actually need in your dorm room? What random items shouldn’t be forgotten, but are far from obvious? How are you supposed to know how to pack for college?
Here’s a list of essentials for your dorm room:
Room and Desk
- Lamp with an extra bulb
- Fan – a fan is perfect for warm nights but can also serve another purpose for white noise.
- Power strips and extension cords
- Whiteboard or whiteboard wall decal – this is great to plan out your assignments and athletics if you’re an athlete so you can keep track of your busy schedule.
- Portable three-drawer storage — can be used at your desk or for all of your other items.
Laundry and Bed
- Laundry basket or large bag – think about carrying it up and down stairs.
- Clothes hanging rack for things that can’t be dried
- Clothes hangers for the closet
- Laundry detergent and dryer sheets
- Towels – including hand and bath towels, along with washcloths.
- Sheets, pillows and pillowcases, and blankets – check with your school to see if they need to be "dorm-sized” or extra long, meaning regular twin sheets won’t work.
- Mattress cover – ideally get one that covers the entire mattress, top and bottom.
- Toothbrush holder – if you think you’ll need it.
- Shower caddy – to carry bathroom supplies.
- Stain remover stick
- Toilet paper and paper towels
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Cotton balls and cotton swabs
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Mouth wash
- Hand soap
- Body wash or shower gel
- Shower curtain and bath mat – if you have your own bathroom.
- Student ID
- Bank information/checks
- Debit card and/or credit card
- Driver’s license
- Medical insurance card
- Social security card
These are just some of the most important items to bring with you on college move-in day. Even though moving into the dorms, finding your classes, and adjusting to your new surroundings can be overwhelming, remember to enjoy the experience. You’ll be making friends, discovering new hobbies, and learning more about yourself than ever before in no time!