Much like landlines and payphones, the process of filling out job applications in-person has seemingly become a thing of the past. In turn, these days the best way to let an employer know you’re interested in working for them is by filling out your application online.
Even though this process might sound relatively simple, filling out a job application online does require you to make certain preparations beforehand that will help make this procedure far less frustrating.
What tools do I need on hand before I start filling out an online application?
When preparing to complete an online application, make sure you have an up-to-date copy of your work resume. Applicants should also have a professional-looking cover letter that specifies what position you’re applying for, as well as a list that contains the names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of everyone you plan to use as a personal or professional reference.
Depending on the application, you might also need to provide a list that details the names, addresses and phone numbers of every school you’ve attended. You’ll also need to know the dates you attended each school and any degrees or awards you earned there. It is also encouraged that you have a pad and pen in case you need to draft a detailed response to a question.
- Read all the instructions thoroughly before you begin filling out the application.
- Read the job description of the position you’re applying for and pick out any skills or work experience you can spotlight on your application that coincides with that description.
- Research some key words you can incorporate into your application that will help your application get noticed.
- Carefully draft and edit your responses to any questions on the application.
- Set aside at block of free time long enough to allow you to fill out the application uninterrupted.
- If you’re required to create an account and come up with a password make sure you write these down.
- Make sure your resume and cover letter have been converted to a PDF on your computer.
How can I make the process of filling out the application easier?
Since most systems timeout after at least 30 minutes, you’ll need to not let too much time lapse while you’re fill out the application. Make sure you fill out every single field on the application-especially the Employment History section and periodically hit “SAVE” to record your entries on a page-by-page basis.
When in doubt, use the “HELP” section to help answer any questions you might have.
Once you’ve finished print out a copy of your application before you officially send it to a prospective employer. This way you can proof read your application and correct any errors you might have missed.