According to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, Amazon is currently selling software that’s capable of extracting health-oriented information from documents and unstructured text.
Amazon Comprehend Medical is a natural language processing service that will help cut healthcare costs, improve hospital efficiency, and assist doctors in diagnosing patients much quicker.
How Does Amazon Comprehend Medical Work?
Amazon Comprehend Medical uses Natural Language Processing (NLP) models to sort through potentially enormous amounts of health-related data to retrieve valuable information that might have otherwise gone undetected.
How New is This Technology?
Amazon Web Services is already selling a similar text-analysis type of software that’s currently being used for booking trips and making customer service-oriented businesses more efficient.
What Tasks Can Amazon Comprehend Medical Perform?
This software can perform several tasks, including:
- Reading & analyzing digitized patient records & clinical notes
- Detecting entities
- Singling out key data points
- Detecting protected health Information
- Helping doctors decipher unstructured medical data
- Helping patients manage their medications
- Helping doctors and patients make more informed decisions
- Suggesting doctor visits
What Are Some Benefits of Using This Software?
Several benefits to using Amazon's Comprehend Medical software includes:
- Users don't need textual analysis expertise to utilize and maximize Amazon Comprehend Medical’s products
- This software uses deep learning technology that accurately analyzes text
- Health-related Information can be obtained more quickly
- It's designed to work with other Amazon Web Services like Amazon S3 and Lambda.
- There's no minimum fees so users only have to pay for the documents that get analyzed
How Can I Enter This Field?
Hocking College in Nelsonville, Ohio offers an Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Management degree program. Applicants can receive the hands-on training they need to go from student to graduate in only two years.
For more information on this program, contact Hocking College’s Health Information Management Program Manager, Jade Cover, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (740) 753-6417.