Health information management technicians take documented, or spoken, patient information and transcribe it into a digital format. These professionals also coordinate, store, and maintain computerized medical records. As a result, their efforts help doctors, patients, hospitals, and insurance companies all work together more efficiently and effectively.
How Can I Enter This Field?
Hocking College in Nelsonville, Ohio offers an Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Management degree program. Applicants can receive the hands-on training they need to go from student to graduate in only four semesters.
What Skills Will I Learn in This Program?
Students who enroll in Hocking College’s Health Information Management program will learn the following skills:
- How to use classification software
- How to protect the confidentiality of all patients
- How to electronically record data
- How to utilize patient information to predict future vaccination dates
- How to organize digital data
- How to retrieve data
- How to review records for timeliness and accuracy
- How to assign clinical codes for insurance reimbursement
What are the Benefits of the HIM Program at Hocking College?
Students who decide to enroll in this degree program at Hocking College will make themselves available to the following advantages:
- Hocking College’s HIM program has professional partnerships with Fairfield Medical Center, Holzer Health Systems, and Camden Clark Memorial Hospital.
- Hocking College is a Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS) Approved Education Partner.
- Students will learn about the latest technological advancements in the HIM industry.
- Students will gain the hands-on training they need to succeed in the field.
- Graduates will leave being prepared to take the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIM) certification exam.
- Hocking’s smaller class sizes means students will get more one-on-one time with their instructors.
For more information about the degree, check out Hocking College's Health Information Management program page or check out the video below.