World Water Week is from August 23, 2022, through September 1, 2022. This year's theme is "Seeing the Unseen: The Value of Water." The conference is held in Stockholm, Sweden, but can also be attended virtually this year.
This conference, since 1991, has drawn people from around the globe interested in solving the many challenges of water. Discussions will take place on how people view as well as value water. The three themes are; The value of water for people and development, The financial and economic value of water, and The value of water for nature and climate.
The conference's goal is to share knowledge and find solutions for these challenges by collaborating with others and furthering the discussion with decision-makers for transformation and change across the globe.
Hocking College is doing its part to share knowledge about water management by offering the Water and Waste Water Management Associate Degree Program, as well as Water Treatment and Wastewater Treatment Certificate programs. These programs teach students how to protect and provide clean water to everyone. They also prepare students to become Water and Wastewater Operators while providing numerous online continuing education opportunities for current operators. Students in the program:
- Calculate water/wastewater flow rates, storage, detention times, volumes, hydraulics, chemical dosages, and electrical applications.
- Examine and compare federal and state laws and regulations that apply to the water/wastewater industry.
- Assess and apply health, safety, emergency planning, and security practices and procedures to evaluate specific working environments within the water/wastewater treatment fields.
- Demonstrate skill in water/wastewater sampling and analysis techniques.
- Analyze and evaluate different water/wastewater treatment processes and the operation, maintenance, and laboratory procedures.
- Explain a variety of distribution and collection system designs, operations, and maintenance.
- Apply the scientific principles behind water resources management to the design of water/wastewater treatment strategies.