Are you a natural resources major looking for some financial assistance with school? The Ohio Parks and Recreation Association Foundation has three scholarships available to students in Ohio who have an interest in parks and leisure studies.
What Are These Three Scholarships?
The three scholarships available for students are the following:
- Don Schmidt Scholarship: A scholarship for students majoring in parks/law enforcement.
- Jody Stowers Scholarship: A scholarship for students in parks and recreation that exemplify the future of the profession.
- John McComb Scholarship: A scholarship for students majoring in all aspects of recreation, which includes park operations, natural resource management, therapeutic recreation, commercial recreation, outdoor recreation, tourism, community recreation, recreation management, aquatic management, non-profit recreation management, sports management and leisure studies.
In addition, all scholarship winners will also receive a free, full-year student membership with the Ohio Parks and Recreation Association.
The deadline to apply to these scholarships is May 10, 2019.
What Are the Eligibility Requirements For These Scholarships?
Any students who want to qualify for these scholarships must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a student majoring in parks or law enforcement who is currently enrolled in a program relevant to parks and recreation at a post-secondary school in Ohio
- Must have at least 30 credit hours total with 12 credit hours in their major
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must exemplify the future of the parks and recreation industry
How Will Applicants Be Evaluated?
Scholarship applicants will be evaluated based on three criteria:
- Work resume
- An original essay written by the applicant that explains how they plan to contribute to the promotion of parks, recreation and leisure services in Ohio. (Note: This essay should be a maximum of one page in length & use a 10 point font or higher.)
- Professional references that support the applicant’s potential for success
What’s the Goal of the Ohio Parks & Recreation Association?
The overall goal of the Ohio Parks and Recreation Association is to promote the development of parks, recreation and leisure services in the state of Ohio. This association also helps to lessen the burden of government by providing fiscal assistance for the acquisition, development, and rehabilitation of Ohio's recreation and park resources.