Are you looking for a career that is in high demand and pays well? If so, you should consider becoming a dental hygienist.
In only two years, students can graduate from Hocking College’s Dental Hygiene Program with an Associate of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene degree.
Located at Hocking College’s Perry Campus in New Lexington, OH, the new Dental Hygiene Program offers students the required training in general education, biomedical sciences, dental sciences, and dental hygiene sciences they’ll need to succeed.
Students who successfully complete this program will be eligible to take the national and regional board exams, and the state law exams in order to become a registered dental hygienist.
What Skills Will I Learn in the Program?
Students who enroll in Hocking College’s Dental Hygiene Program will obtain the following skills:
- Removing hard and soft deposits from teeth
- Using an ultrasonic scaler to clean/polish teeth
- Applying sealants and fluoride to teeth
- Assessing a patient’s oral health
- Reporting any important findings to a dentist
- Documenting patients' ongoing treatment and care
- Advising patients on their oral health care habits, which includes brushing, flossing and the use of appropriate dental hygiene aids
- Exposing and assessing radiographs
- Understanding the oral health needs of specific age groups
- Administering local anesthesia, nitrous oxide-oxygen sedation, and other pain management techniques
What Qualifications Do I Need to Meet?
Students who plan to pursue a degree in dental hygiene need the following academic skills, physical attributes, and desired qualities:
- High school diploma or GED
- Math skills
- Computer skills
- Written & verbal communication skills
- Ability to identify color changes in oral tissue
- Perform repetitive wrist motions
- Hear and understand a normal speaking voice without seeing the speaker’s face
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Manual dexterity
- Ability to work in a limited space
- Professional attitude
- Detail oriented
- Organizational skills
- Tennis shoes
- Wear their hair up or away from their shoulders
- Wear no jewelry besides a wedding band
- Wear perfume/cologne in moderation