If you want to pursue a career and have a connection to the American Legion, then you should consider applying for the Past President's Parley Nurses' Scholarship.
The American Legion Auxiliary Department of Ohio’s Past President's Parley Program is designed to assist students pursuing a degree in the nursing field who are veterans, or are the adopted, step, grand or great-grand child of a veteran who served their country anytime between World War I and Desert Storm.
Where Can I Get an Application?
The scholarship application is available on the American Legion Auxiliary Department of Ohio's website. Local Auxiliary Units should contact their local high schools on the availability of this scholarship.
Applicants can order additional applications via the mail at the following address:
American Legion Auxiliary Scholarship Coordinator
PO Box 2760
Zanesville, OH 43702
Who's Eligible For This Scholarship?
Those who apply for this scholarship must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- The future nursing student must be an honorably discharged veteran or a spouse, son or daughter (adopted, step, grand, or great-grand) of a living, deceased, or disabled honorably discharged veteran who served during these active war dates:
- World War I: April 6, 1917 — November 11, 1918
- World War II: December 7, 1941 — December 31, 1946
- Korean War: June 25, 1950 — January 31, 1955
- Vietnam War: February 28, 1961 — May 7, 1975
- Lebanon/Grenada: August 24, 1982 — July 31, 1984
- Panama: December 20, 1989 — January 31, 1990
- Desert Storm: August 2, 1990 — cessation
- The applicant must be a resident of Ohio.
- The applicant must be sponsored by an Ohio American Legion Auxiliary Unit.
- The scholarship may be used at the nursing school of the student's choice. Proof of acceptance must also be attached to the application.
- Accompanying the application must be three letters of recommendation from:
- A member of the clergy or a representative to attest to devotional beliefs.
- A representative of the community.
- The applicant stating his/her qualifications for the nursing profession.
- The applicant must sign and date the application.
- The completed application must be returned to the American Legion Auxiliary Unit by May 1, 2019.
- The Unit President must sign the application and forward it by no later than May 15, 2019 with all supporting documents to the Department Past President's Parley Chairman, Denise Conrad.
When is the Deadline to Apply?
Those interested in applying must do so by no later than May 15, 2019.